Thursday, 2 July 2015

A turning point: The little one

I think I have a leaf of some sort caught in my teeth...

So where was I? 

I think it was with the birth of my brother one spring morning in 1976. Now, I know I said I believe that is when it all changed but not because of him; Well I hope not. 

In an instant I went from being an awkward, spoiled lonely boy being a Big Brother. This was fantastic. So much so I picked him up and took him outside to show people. My parent's were none to impressed. 

Many things happened around that time. I was 3/4 of the way through Grade 1 and doing miserably at it. If it were not for keyboards and spell check you wouldn't think I was writing in Sanskrit. Just less eloquently. It was also the year my father made the leap to the big times. He went from being a Grade School teacher to a High School teacher. 

My father. My father. He got his dream position at Peter Pan Syndrome High the High School he went to and was the master of all things Theatre Arts. He also went from being the Dad of a prepubescent wallflower and hyper-active shit disturber to the leader of adoring disciples (Have you ever seen Godspell - well then you get the picture). 

In my mind's eye it was like going from a family of 4 to a family of 3 in a flicker of a sequin. My melancholy mom, our little ball of golden speeding light and woe-was-me. Where was my Dad? Well leading his flock of course. 

It wasn't all evil as I make it sound. I mean, it's not like he left us abandoned at the side of the road in a dust storm. He took my brother and I to school some days where all the girls that just came into womanhood fawned over me and I got all the construction paper and coloured chalk I wanted. He just somehow just wasn't Dad any more. 

This played a huge roll in shaping who I am today. I'll touch back on it from time to time but I don't want to belabour on it. I'm just trying to build a bit of a back ground story so I can blog about the here and now. 

Shit! I have 40 years to get through rather quickly...



No comments:

Post a Comment